Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Review: Jackaroo by Cynthia Voigt



This book was recommended by a friend who is starting a local book club with me.  I read it in hardback, unlike most of the books I read lately, on my Kindle.

My impression of it was definitely thrown off by the cover and the name.  My edition is the old cover, and I thought it might be a story about a Puritan-like community.  I was far from the mark.

It does have a somewhat slow start as it builds the weight of this world, the poverty and despair of the people who so desperately need a flicker of hope.  I never would have guessed that hope would come in the form it did.  The plot builds slowly like a steady drumbeat until the actions of the main character are inexorably set by her character and heart for the people, a quiet, unconditional love that sacrifices without recognition or return. 

The author’s voice is strong and memorable.  One phrase sticks out in my memory, so concise yet holding so much, describing Burl. “He was nineteen, and his heart, which broke for Rose, seemed to be healing. Burl could never have spoken for Rose.”  Just that simple, “his heart, which broke for Rose,” spoke volumes that other writers might struggle for pages to say as well.

In spite of this captivating start in her description of Burl, he seemed to fade into the background.  That was appropriate for his quiet, strong character, I suppose.  Still, I would have thought that the main character, Gwyn, would have been a little more aware of him.  I caught the one clue, the standard that she set for herself that she apparently missed, but because she missed it, I actually dropped that line of thought as an option.  I was not aware that I was reading a young adult’s novel, and I made some assumptions about her from that point that probably would not occur in this imprint.  I can’t be more specific without dropping spoilers.  The ending was a definite surprise.

I caught a couple of typos, “too” for “to,” a dropped letter or two, disappointing in a hardback from an imprint of Simon & Schuster, but too minor to distract from the story.

I really enjoyed this story, though my own writing leans to a faster style and break-from-the-gate beginnings.  Well written and engaging, once you get past that slow start.  And I definitely recommend you get past that!

Offering a link here, but this is not the same cover I have with my older version.




No comments:

Post a Comment