Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Embracing Zero: First Time Author Tips

I'm accepting that my sales rank has fallen into the death zone at the moment, but I'm alright with that.  I'm in the middle of a rewrite, and I've learned a lot from this first fumbling flight and gooney bird landing.  I didn't do so bad, so I'm sure the rewrite of my first novel and completed trilogy will be a success.  So, it's back to writing.  All good.

The other authors on the Amazon forums have given me the necessary perspective and some wonderful advice. They say 13 reviews is good, the cover looks great, and they've helped me perfect my teaser.  I also learned that I have to fill out my author page FOR EACH COUNTRY.  Big tip, there.

I've learned a lot from this first time experience as an author so far, and I'll happily pass along any new info along the way.

First, the DON'Ts:

  • Don't get sick.

  • Don't get sick and disappear for years from public view.  People are busy.  They WILL forget you. So ...

  • Don't expect people to come hunting for you to find out if you're alright, especially if the only contact info you have that has remained constant is your e-mail.  Only the most loyal will do that.

  • Don't get distracted by inappropriate relationships with men (or women). (Ha.  Yeah, I've REALLY learned that one. I'm being sarcastic.  I'll probably do that one again. But I hope not, the key word is "inappropriate.") 


  • Don't take advice from people you don't want to be like.  For example, the guy next to you in the soup kitchen isn't the best choice for financial advisor. He may be very wise and a great mentor for the School of Hard Knocks, but the best advice he can give you when it comes to manifesting abundance is probably a rehash of  "sour grapes" that you've heard before. 

  • Don't let those same people drag you down.


  • Don't get discouraged at every downturn.  It will pass.  Stay centered.  Enjoy the highs, learn from and remedy the lows on your rankings and reviews.  

I'll share some DO's next time.  A final DON'T - don't forget to take care of yourself!  Go ride your bike, walk, go swimming, go hiking.  Like I'm about to do!






No comments:

Post a Comment