Thursday, May 30, 2013

Freelancer.com and a Little Encouragement

So, one of my contacts through Wordpress.com, I believe, must have invited me to a site for freelancers, or I may have run across it somewhere.  I've started posting bids to do editing and ghostwriting on this site, and I snagged my first project!

It's not very good money there; actually it's pretty humiliating, but I'm hoping to build my reputation on the site and then I will be able to charge what I'm really worth.  The bids, unfortunately, are being driven down by people who are not native speakers and really are not qualified to be editing or ghostwriting in English.

However, it's good experience, and a little bit of money when you're in my situation is better than none.  Besides that, I LOVE the work!  I get to read some pretty good novels for a living, and offer my input to make them even better!

Now, the encouragement I got was actually a rejection letter. The feedback I keep getting is... well, here:
******
Thanks for the submission.

I like the concept and did go ahead and read a bit of your book since if was available.

Unfortunately, I can't take you on at this time. Your story is good, and your writing solid. But at this length, I think trying to sell it as a 99 cent novella is just about right. If it were three times as long and had a more complex set of subplots, then I'd probably want to talk more.

Thanks again. I wish you all the best with your writing career, of which I'm positive you've got one.

Sincerely,

Raymond Vogel
AEC Stellar Publishing, Inc.
******So

So, basically, the negative feedback I'm getting is, "I want more! Make it longer!"

And note that last sentence!  Isn't that awesome encouragment?

I guess I'll be taking it back to the drawing board.  I have some great ideas bubbling up for a sub-plot ...


2 comments:

  1. Everyone always wants more.... but he does see a future for you. That's great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As for "everyone always wants more," well, not really. If you've ever slogged through a "slushpile," you'd know there are manuscripts out there that are absolutely unbearable to keep reading. Sad, but true.
    It's really difficult to get an agent or editor to read all the way through your work. One mistake and they groan and put it down. Notice he said he only read a bit of it -- he stopped as soon as he knew he couldn't take it on. I understand that, and I'm glad he did. I can go back and do revisions and he'll still be able to give it a fresh read.

    ReplyDelete