Friday, May 10, 2013

Back to Work ...

Storm is gone, roaming the West, and I'm still here, settling back into my routine. I may not live in a mansion, but I've got a window by my work desk and I'm happy not to be sitting in a cubicle, crunching numbers.

I have some good ideas for my second novel in "The Secret of Zanalon" series.  Just need to get it down on paper in an interesting format!

I got a big bump in my sales after I used three of my five free promo days; 2 - 4 sales a day, but that dropped off when I got my first review from a stranger.  I was ecstatic when I first got it, thinking it would be only the first, but I was wrong.  It was a three-star review, and even though the review made it clear that she wanted to see more from me, that didn't matter.  My sales went to zero.

I'm sure she didn't intend to destroy my career.  Well here, I'll post a link to her review, but don't forget to come back here, 'kay?

Jes' review

So, yeah, she wants me to keep writing.  I'm doing this blog just to get my thoughts out, and maybe someone will stumble across it someday and it will help them feel not quite so alone in their own struggles as a writer -- and as my sidetrack to relationship craziness shows, their struggles as a person.

I was hoping to make enough money from sales to pay for my cover art.  It was $250, and I commissioned it when I thought I was moving to NC to rent a room with friends.  It would only have been $180 a month, and I could have paid her in one month.  Instead, I'm here, paying $500 a month with absolutely nothing left over after insurance, gas, internet/phone, etc. 

She said I didn't have to pay her, she "would take it as a loss," but I don't want to do that to her.  She blessed me and I want to bless her.  Also, I want her to work for me again -- she's awesome!

But let's see, it would take 715 paid book sales at my current price and royalty to pay her.  I have 24. Sigh.

$8.05

Persistence pays, or so I've been told, so I'm going to just keep right on plugging.

I have a five-star review, too.  See?

Robin's review

But.

The damage seems to have been done.  Still zero sales.  I have two more days of free promo left -- maybe that will give me a bump again and hopefully more 5-stars than 3.  I think I'll aim for two weeks from now, and have a publishing party right afterwards. 

Off to work again!  My antagonist awaits!  Already he has a name, just waiting for me to fill out his personality and the details of his life.

Company, too.  Need to post work hours!

And just in case you're not familiar with the novel in question, here it is again:






1 comment:

  1. Thank you, sweetheart, for the encouragement! *huuugs*

    ReplyDelete